Planning a wedding
Getting married is one of the most significant and happiest days of your life, so congratulations if you are ready to take this step! Planning your wedding day is an exciting time and we would like to do all that we can to ensure that your wedding day is all that you would like it to be. If you would like to get married at St Hubert's or St Nicholas church, the next step is to contact the Rector Jane Burgess 01202 699319 to arrange an appointment to discuss your specific situation and requirements.
For guidance, below are the legal requirements you must satisfy to marry in this Parish:
1. One of you at least must be able to establish a qualifying connection with the parish, such as:
• You were baptised in the parish; or
• Had your confirmation entered in a church register book in the parish; or
• Has at any time lived in the parish for at least 6 months; or
• Has at any time regularly attended public worship in the parish for at least 6 months;
Or a Parent of that person:
• Has lived in the parish for at least 6 months; or
• Regularly attended public worship in the parish for at least 6 months;
Or a parent or grandparent of that person was married in the parish.
2. If one of you is living in a parish other than the one in which you wish to be married, you will need to arrange for banns to be read by the vicar of that parish, and obtain a banns certificate from him / her.
3. If either of you will not be 18 by the proposed date of the wedding, we will need to know that the consent of parents or guardians has been obtained.
4. You must not be related to each other.
5. If either of you have been through any form of marriage or civil partnership before, in this or any other country, it may still be possible to be married in church. Please do ring to discuss this with us as we would love to be able to help.
In addition, we expect you to undergo Marriage Preparation with us. Please note that our aim is:
• not to judge your values or views, but to help you discuss them together.
• not to tell you how to have a happy marriage, but to offer tips which may help you to make your marriage as happy as it can be.